The current situation with COVID-19 has presented a variety of challenges to fire and EMS agencies, including financial hardship. But the good news is that there are programs in place to help provide support to first responders and firefighters specifically for the purchase of PPE.
Through the CARES Act, first responders may seek funding via three programs.
- FEMA Supplemental Assistance to Firefighter Grant Program: This supplemental grant program, referred to as AFG-S, provides $100 million in funding to fire departments and EMS organizations. The AFG-S program aims to “provide critically needed resources that equip personnel to respond to the COVID-19 public health emergency and support community resilience.”
Individual fire departments and EMS organization can apply during the application period of April 28 through May 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm ET.
For AFG-S guidance documents, visit FEMA.
- U.S. Treasury Coronavirus Relief Fund: This $150 billion fund provides funding to state and local governments of populations greater than 500,000 people for expenses that:
- Are necessary due to the public health emergency
- Were not included in approved budgets prior to March 27, 2020
- Are incurred from March 31, 2020 through December 30, 2020
Fire department leadership in eligible jurisdictions can work with local and county government officials to seek reimbursement for expenditures. For additional details on this program, click here.
- FEMA Supplemental Emergency Management Performance Grant Program: This supplemental grant program, referred to as EMPG-S, provides $100 million in funding to state emergency management organizations. Only State or U.S. territory level administrative or emergency management organizations are eligible to apply. Grant amounts have been pre-determined for each state and U.S. territory.
The objective of the program is to support State response to the COVID-19 public health emergency. For additional details on this program, click here.
MSA offers a number of products that may meet the requirements of these three programs, including:
- Advantage 200 & 420 half masks with P100 filters
- G1 SCBA Facepiece with APR adapter and P100 filters
For more information about PPE for firefighters from MSA, visit MSAfire.com.